Welcome from the CEO
Kingfisher Learning Trust was established in September 2016 with much thought and based on strong beliefs. The Trust’s Intent is founded on respect for everyone within the Trust family by encouraging and celebrating diversity. Excellence is at the heart of all of Kingfisher’s work, and the Trust’s Vision is for ‘Endless Possibilities’, working creatively to find the best possible approaches in all aspects of its provision. A design principle of the Trust is to develop a continuum of provision across the Trust – bringing together the best practice from both special and mainstream schools, ensuring that every child and young person within Kingfisher Learning Trust receives an aspirational, engaging and appropriate curriculum offer, enabling all learners to grow as individuals and have the knowledge and skills to contribute to society.
Schools within the Trust include:
- Kingfisher Special School in Oldham; a school for primary aged children with complex and severe learning needs
- Medlock Valley Primary School; a mainstream primary school in Oldham (sponsored from 1stSeptember 2019)
- Halcyon Way; a new free school which opened in January 2022 for primary aged children with less severe to moderate learning needs
- Littlemoor Primary School – a mainstream primary school in Oldham that joined the Trust in January 2022
- Blackshaw Lane Primary School – a mainstream primary school in Oldham that joined the Trust in September 2023.
As a values-led organisation and with an intent underpinned by integrity, the Trust is looking to work in partnership with like-minded schools with a similar culture, within Oldham and across neighbouring Local Authorities. As such, the Trust is not an expansionist Trust but one built upon meaningful and respectful relationships with high aspirations for all of the children, young people and staff. To this end, the Trust is planning to grow in three ways:
- with mainstream Primary Schools, reaching out to enhance practice and inclusive provision
- establishing new innovative Free Schools
- welcoming Special Schools from beyond Oldham to further develop and enrich specialist provision.
The Trust remains resolute in ensuring that growth is not too rapid and as such, ensures that the necessary capacity, personnel and processes are in place to support any development. Schools within Kingfisher Learning Trust need to be within a coherent geographical cluster, with a shared sense of community, ethos and values to ensure they are all well supported.
Message from the Trust Chair
As Chair of the Board of Trustees of Kingfisher Learning Trust, I am pleased to introduce you to our organisation. We believe passionately in the importance of providing opportunities to succeed and prosper for all pupils and staff within the Kingfisher community. This means that we are never satisfied with the status quo but continue to look for ways to evolve and improve the standard of our provision and the impact that this has on outcomes for individuals and the wider community we serve.
We would encourage you to take the opportunity to visit us to see how we are putting our vision and values into practice or to meet to discuss ideas, share good practice and to talk about opportunities for mutual support, cooperation and collaboration.